Thursday, April 12, 2012

Concrete Counter in Garden Area


I have shared a few of these in the past, and more will come as this project finishes. What you are seeing is the progression of building a concrete counter from the supporting 2x6 pressure treated members then the plywood stoppers on the underside of the concrete (they are removed once the counter is dried)







Once the concrete has dried for some time, I start grinding.  First to remove the 'cream' from the top to expose the aggregate then using a strait edge and a level, i make the slight flow to the sink from the surrounding area.  The wire you see in the first picture is used to prevent cracking.  the item above the hammer is the drain housing for the sink
 Here is late at night.  The process took 14 hours of almost continuous work to this point
 This photo shows the first grind on the top to remove the cream and expose the aggregate.








The rubber against the stucco makes sure that the concrete does not stick to the wall.  Eventually there will be a back-splash.  I want to build some shelves for plant nursery over the right arm.  

 My step-son Craig is working it here.  He showed me how to grind on the surface, and as is his way, spent most of the day doing it, so I grabbed the camera



.   I have done more work improving the fall into the sink, so that any mess on the counter-top will flow into the sink.

I will post when I have completed that task.

No comments:

Post a Comment