Friday, May 18, 2012

Auto Tune-up



My young (21) neighbor, William, recently bought a pickup truck.  He is anxious to know how to fix his vehicle.  So he and I replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor in my 200k mile '98 Dodge Ram Quad Cab.  First we looked up all the parts on the RockAuto website (what a welcome, easy experience!); we bought the parts he had 'strong' feelings about like Iridium plugs.  After the boxes arrived, we set about changing all the items. .  
I was amazed to find how corroded the rotor and cap were, also one of the wires was extremely corroded where it plugged into the cap.  I attempted to explain him the importance of a 'method' or procedure to follow as he did his work.    Suddenly, near the last plug, he declared you must have shipped an extra plug.  a check found he'd not replaced one.  Normally we'd have had to pull each plug due to the shrouding, but he noticed that the connector was slightly different on the new plugs.  His excitement in working on the first attempt at changing plugs and wires made me recall those same feelings many years ago, when points and capacitors were still commonly used.  I am sure he will be ordering parts soon for his truck from the wages I've paid him for helping me.  

Worth every penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment