Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Deck starts

The original back porch

 

Starting the Deck

<-- ORIGINAL

 

 

We now move forward to constructing the deck in front of the wall. The2012-08-27_11-45-29_348 northern end of the deck lies on the ledge  in front base of the wall.  With my ace assistant and Gracie overseeing the work, I finished the joists.  Next I started laying the decking.  I am using Trex Winchester Grey with a decking device to hold down the boards invisibly.  Boards go down fairly easily, bit some 1346093153153time required to use a biscuit cutter to groove boards for holding devices.

The plan is to have a radius from the north-south boards of the ramp to the east-west boards of the main deck.  The internal radius will be 24" and the outer radius will be 60" This will take fifteen 36" boards cut in a pie shape and a radius recut on the face.

 

 

2012 09 04_1926

2012 09 06_1929

2012-08-29_22-02-15_270

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

These pictures show the start and in progress installation of the quarter circle of Trex.  To make the pieces, 2012 09 06_1930I laid a piece of OSB on the deck, and aligned on edge to where the first board would lay, then drew a line from the edge of the next board to the screw I placed as center.  Then I screwed a scrap piece of straight lumber to the OSB on the line. Then I went to my table saw and cut the OSB to a known width using the first side as a guide.  Now I could lay the Trex on the jig and cut them .  I used a radius cutter on my router to make the boards all look the same.  With a bit of sun and some time, all the surfaces will turn a light gray and what we see now as color changes, will disappear. 

The process of laying deck will continue down the ramp towards the street.  I will post more photos when that is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment